CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »
Team Edward - Because Jacob Has Fleas

Monday, December 3, 2007

Almost Gave Me A Heart Attack!

I love my job. Working hands-on with patients is one of the most gratifying experiences of my life. Just last week however, right before I was going to take my lunch break, we had a serious scare. My last patient before break is in his mid-60's, kind of overweight, and really tall. I went in to take tell him that he was done icing, and when he sat up he told me that he was feeling kinda nauseous and dizzy. I told him to take his time while I got him some ice water. A few minutes later when I was sitting at my desk in the waiting room, he came out and was about to leave, but had to sit down again because he was still feeling nauseous. After his third attempt to leave the office, I practically forced him back into a treatment room and explained to him that Dr. Fox ("Howie") wanted to see him one more time before he left. I'm glad I didn't let him leave. He was nauseous, dizzy, clammy, and his blood pressure was 190/100!!!!! Anyone else thinking "heart attack"??? The patient STILL wanted to drive himself, which was not an option, and he refused to take an ambulance, so Howie drove him to the ER himself. Later that day his daughter called from the hospital to give us updates. His blood pressure went up to 198/100. The second time she called she let me know that he was diabetic and his blood sugar was 358!!!!! The third time she called she asked me "His blood pressure is 200/101, is that anything I should be worried about?" Um, yeah. This guy was going to go into a diabetic coma. I was terrified for him. That's such a scary thing to witness. This morning the daughter came into our office and let me know that his blood pressure and blood sugar were almost back to normal, and he was feeling a lot better. I'm so glad that we didn't let him leave the office by himself. Who knows what could have happened if we let him get back on the freeway? It just goes to show that even the smallest things that you may not even notice at first, could go horribly wrong. I definitely feel like my heavenly father had a major part in this. I never would have thought to keep him in the office longer, because he never told me he was diabetic, or that his blood pressure was through the roof. A lot of times you can feel sick after an adjustment or massage from all of the toxins being released for you body to get rid of. It's not entirely uncommon for some patients to leave the office a little woozy. Yes, I definitely know that the spirit was prompting me to realize that something was really wrong with him.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

You go girl! Way to listen to the spirit and also to put your training and common sense into action!

Love You--

Ryan and Megan said...

Good job Meg! Way to be observant and persistant and getting him back into that chair to see the doctor one more time. Holy cow that would have been so scary and could have ended very badly if it wasn't for you.

Consejero said...

Hello, I go by your blog to inform you of the creation of this blog: http://columna-de-consejos.blogspot.com/
this fact with the purpose of helping people that you/they have problems, but that anything is based in a column of advice, since nowadays there are a lot of people that needs of a consultant, I hope to see you for my blog, and from already thank you. Merry Christmas and I prosper New Year!

Attn. Consultant